This is the last of the printing exercises done by my fourth graders.  We used craft foam to make stamps. To begin the lesson we had a discussion on symmetry and reflections. The students had some examples posted on their bulletin board, so I knew they were familiar with the concept. I showed them a few examples of radial symmetry form nature as well as art and stained glass work.

We started out by folding our paper into quarters.  Prior to the lesson I cut craft foam into a quarters of an 8 inch diameter circle. The students aligned the right angle of the foam piece with the center point of the folds and traced around the curve of the shape to form a circle on their paper. We used this as a template for placing our print.

Next the students engraved the craft foam using a dull pencil point.  They started at the point of their quarter pie piece and drew a design around it. They continued drawing designs around the center until they reached the edge. The retraced the completed design several times to be sure the engraving was deep enough to give a clear print.

When the design was etched deep enough, they colored their design using water-based markers. The classroom teacher and I were armed with spray bottles filled with water.  When a student was done coloring the stamp, they raised their hand, and we sprayed a few sprits onto one quarter of their paper.

The student then aligned the pie piece with the template and pressed the foam face down on their paper.  (There is no hurry at this point, not like with the collographs painted with tempera. In fact, the longer you wait, the better the print if the paper is not too wet.) They gently rubbed the back of the foam to release the stamp image. (if you push and rub too hard it stretches the foam and distorts the image)

After they pulled the stamp to reveal the image, they color the stamp again using the same colors. The process is repeated 3 times to complete the circle.

I think you will agree, the results are beautiful!

Comments

08/07/2015 7:18am

I needed to thank you for this fantastic read!! I certainly enjoyed every bit of it. I have you saved as a favorite to check out new things you post

12/21/2015 11:18pm

I know my little one will definitely have a blast playing with them! Click the images for full project details.

01/06/2016 7:32pm

Thank you again for all the knowledge you distribute,Good post. I was very interested in the article, it's quite inspiring I should admit. I like visiting you site since I always

I have a comfortable place to live and share with family and friends. I’m blessed to be a part of the FOC community. Home is great.

does really well. I’ve been sewing for over 35 years and absolutely love it. It’s nice to see others succeed while working in the areas they love

02/26/2016 12:18am

hank you for benefiting from time to focus on this kind of, I feel firmly about it and also really like comprehending

In case you have been injured as a result of a defective IVC Filter, you must contact an experienced attorney practicing in medical malpractice cases, specifically someone with experience in these lawsuits.

Years past I bought an enormous provide of instant paper mache, thinking it had been about to be my fast account 3D work. Well, I actually have since tried exploitation it altogether types of ways in which, and it had been invariably simply too mushy for many children to form something even recognizable.

04/14/2016 9:51pm

It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your excellent post here. I like that very much.

05/04/2016 1:48am

Looks great! I like this post so much!

06/15/2016 11:39pm

These colorful prints in the picture up there are looking very nice and i am sure that artist did hard effort to make it. So we should appreciate him for making this type beautiful prints and sharing here.

07/15/2016 11:33pm

Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates.

Outlook.com is a free, personal email service from Microsoft. Keep your inbox clutter-free with powerful organizational tools, and collaborate easily with ...

08/14/2016 11:32pm

Yes, great US Military force. Also, in his post you have given a chance to listen about US Military. I really appreciate your work. Thanks for sharing it.

10/07/2016 10:32am

Our brain is the main part on which whole body depends.So for healthy brain we need a proper eating and it should be pure and fresh. Specially the fresh water is most important thing for our brains health

10/24/2016 8:35am

Latex mattresses are getting very popular due to their great comfort and high resistance. To make a better educated decision here you can find everything related to latex mattresses, from the nature of latex to how a latex mattress is made, from how to judge its quality to the utility of latex mattresses complements and many more.

11/09/2016 1:25am

Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University Hyderabad has successfully conducted the first year final examinations for the Regular and Supplementary students who have been pursuing their Bachelors in Pharmacy or Technology. To make them feel relieved from all the tensions and nervousness on the release of the JNTUH Results 2016

01/16/2017 11:04pm

lucky patcher for ios

02/26/2017 10:43pm

Wow! These are so cool

04/09/2017 9:07am

It is my great satisfaction to talk aimed at your website and have fun with your outstanding publish here. I like that very much.

No one can stop you writing a perfect blog or article if you are passionate to your job. Your aim is to satisfy your readers with a well written blog and your passion is always behind your every successful assignment. Impressive writing skills can be observed over here.

05/30/2017 4:54am

Mobdro is an app that lets you see a lot of media online. It is a free app which allows live streaming