This week my kindergarten classes investigated the artist Paul Klee. We are studying line and shape, and Klee's work is fabulous as an example.
Picture
Paul Klee (1849–1940)
We looked at many samples of Klee's work, but focused our investigation on his work, "Park bei Lu 1938."
Picture
"Park bei Lu 1938."
We talked about the things you might find in a park and our vocabulary word for the day was, represent. I asked the children what the lines in Klee's work might represent. They said slides and swing sets, trees and people.
Picture
To begin, the children glued black yarn to watercolor paper to represent the things they would see at a park. This step was a challenge because the glue sticks we were using didn't stick to the yarn. So instead, we put the glue on the paper and stuck the yarn to it.
Picture
Before we started painting, I demonstrated how to use the paint brush to pull the paint. We practiced pulling the brush rather than scrubbing with it. It was a delight to see how the children applied this new skill to their work.
Picture
I am so pleased with the results. The children created beautiful works of art. I wish I could share them all with you. Previously I shared the project with my husband. He was sure I was expecting way too much from kindergarteners. When he saw the results, he was blown away. He said each and every one was exceptional. I think you will agree!

Comments

02/20/2012 10:09am

Oh this is so SPECIAL!!! What awesome pieces of art!!!

06/26/2016 1:15am

These are really beautiful works of art. I do admire these young children who did these. You can see the natural talent in them through seeing these master pieces. Wow, these kids are really awesome and talented! If this kind of talent is cultivated, this will for sure bring success to the future.

Paul Klee is one extraordinary artist and it is nice to know that as early as kindergarten, you are introducing him. I am hoping that more schools will use him as an example because his work looks so good. Furthermore, I like how you focused on Park be Lu because I think that is his best piece. Your way of teaching good since you expose the kids to not just the art but also the people behind that art. With this, the children will be able to understand the piece more if they know the story of the artist.

01/14/2017 7:16pm

These are incredibly amazing arts! Over the past several years we’ve all seen the trend of schools cutting the arts from their curriculum. Music, art, theater are gone for so many. There’s no doubt that the arts are fun for kids. Diving into those finger paints and making a beautiful picture to hang on the fridge is awesome. Acting in a play is exhilarating. But the arts also help kids develop on many fundamental levels.

Andi
05/26/2015 4:27pm

gorgeous. Is that liquid watercolor? so vibrant

Kathleen
05/29/2015 8:38am

HI Andi,
No it regular water color. I just have have the kids put a few drops of water on the color cakes at the beginning of the lesson so the paint will be soft when we begin painting.

04/26/2016 1:34am

Nice drawings. I like watercolor.

06/08/2016 11:39pm

Your article is really impressive and the art work that you shared in this article is also very interesting. I hope that the people will learn these skills to make these type of art work in their life. Thanks for making us interesting in these things.

06/14/2016 10:59pm

You have done a great job. I will definitely dig it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they will be benefited from this site.

03/30/2017 1:24am

I am so much excited after reading your blog. Your blog is very much innovative and much helpful for any industry as well as for person.

05/27/2017 11:22pm

great

06/29/2017 4:36am

Gmail has become a must have application for mailing. You can send and receive messages and emails to nonGmail accounts as well